Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Disgusting Habit and Smelly Breath

After bragging about my dear, precious puppy and how he graduated from school... I find myself needing to express the nasty secret Kelly and I have discovered about our pup. I knew I'd have to write about this once I finally took the steps to google the problem and hope to find a solution.

I'll just go ahead and put the secret out there...

Dexter eats his poop!

Yep! I know it's disgusting! Who would do such a thing, regardless if you're a dog or not! What is even worse is the stench of his breath after he comes inside and we KNOW he's been chomping away on the nastiness. GROSS!!!! It makes us want to gag!

I've discovered through my little bit of google research that this poop eating disorder has an actual name. It's called: Dog Coprophagia.

Hi, my name is Heather, and my puppy Dexter has Dog Coprophagia.

They tell me admittance is the first step to recovery.

So... what did I discover on my bit of research?

A. Dog Coprophagia is most common in puppies up to a year old. So Dexter is the not the only one, and he's in that exact age range - a little over 6 months.

B. Dog Coprophagia has a couple suggested common causes: it tastes good to your dog - GROSS, come on Dexter, isn't your food and treats tasty enough!; symptoms of anxiety or boredom - Dex has Kodi to play with, how can he be bored!; the dog is hiding the evidence of their poop because they're confused that pooping is bad rather than knowing that pooping in the house is bad - hmmm; result of over feeding - Dex is skinny, even smaller than his sister who was the runt of the litter...

C. Dog Coprophagia has a couple suggested solutions: adequately exercise and stimulate the dog - maybe I could take Dexter on more outside of the house exercise adventures; put a tablespoon of pineapple, pickles, or garlic in the dog's food because it makes their poop taste bad - How does poop alone NOT taste bad?!; provide distractions to your dog after they poop - so I have to watch Dexter every time he goes out?; keep your dog on the training collar so when they get near the poop you crack the leash to bring about negative association - hmmm... means I can't use my backyard effectively for Dex; and last but not least, keep the dogs living area clean of feces - so we can clean up after he poops to keep it away from him.

You can read all of this in detail on the stop dogs eating dog poop website.

So, yes. I'm going to have to try something to get Dexter out of this nasty habit. It's disgusting! Yuck! If anyone has any tried and true suggestions, pass them onto the comments page. I'm open to suggestions!!!

6 comments:

Mr. McGoo said...

Funny. I just read Dexter's blog about how his mommy eats her boogers.

Way to go and shame him like that. :)

Kelly said...

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

Good one, Boy Kelly.

Brittany Schwaigert said...

Oh girl--my parents dog does that and her breath is always SO SKANKY!! That's why I will not let my dogs's mouth's near greyson!

Mrs. McGoo said...

Update - we have had 1 night of success. Dexter did NOT eat any poop last night (10/21).

Anonymous said...

This is disgusting.. teach that dog some manners! :P

Mrs. McGoo said...

ha. To his defense, sista, he hasn't done it since I posted this blog. I must have "shamed him" into acting less gross. :) Let's hope he keeps up the good work.